Custom Fronts FAQs
Do you provide samples?
We are happy to offer samples of any of our finishes. Lead times can be 14 working days. You can purchase our most popular finishes in our sample shop here.
Should I order a sample if I already know what I want?
- Yes, due to the nature of the product we would always recommend that you order a sample in first. The materials that we work with are beautiful, unique, luxurious and certainly don't make your everyday kitchen fronts. We would always recommend a sample to ensure it is the product that works for you. Please note that as the wood veneers and bamboo are natural, unlike the majority of kitchen fronts that use laminates or vinyl wraps, the samples should only be taken as a guide as the colour, tone and grain of real wood and bamboo can vary considerably - this is an inherent part of it's beauty and why every Custom Fronts Kitchen is as unique as you.
Which cabinet systems do Custom Fronts doors accessorise?
We make doors and drawer fronts to sizes that you provide. We have great experience working with Ikea's Metod system but if you can supply accurate sizes we can make fronts for you!
I’ve planned my kitchen what should I do next?
Send us your plans! Once your plan is complete, email them to us and we will check these over. Please ensure that you have included sizes for fronts and panels on your plan which you can then remove once your order is finalised. This saves any confusion and saves repeating conversations that you will have had with the kitchen designers.
Please send the entire design rather than just a list of parts as we can double check to minimise any issues.
Do you offer a full design service?
- No, not at the moment, but we do offer a styling service. Get in touch to discuss this in more detail.
Do you offer an installation service?
- No, we create and delivery your beautiful fronts only. But we are very friendly and just at the end of the phone so please give us a call if you hit any problems and we'll always try to help.
What should I get from my Cabinetry Supplier?
- This will vary by manufacturer but in general hinges and drawer runners and any additional internal fittings such as pull out larders etc. Fittings for integrated appliances should all be supplied by the appliance manufacturer. Please contact us if you need any further information or recommendations.
What is your lead time?
It varies according to the finish, our workshop schedules and exterior events over which we have no control. Please contact us for current lead times. Currently many issues that arose through the global CoVid pandemic are still working through the supply chain and having knocking on effects but we will always aim to give you as accurate an idea as possible. We would always recommend allowing contingency times on any building project as this leads to an easier and less stressful experience.
Do you have a minimum order?
Yes, but this depends on stock in the showroom, and materials chosen, so we can advise you in relation to your specific order.
Can I change my order?
We understand that design/construction changes often occur, sometimes even after an order is placed. From receipt of the payment, the Customer is allotted 3 business days for regular orders to make changes, as long as the Customer pays for any of the card processing fees.
Any requests for revisions after this period is not guaranteed as at that stage the workshop will have started the making process, sorry! If we can make a change it is subject to a minimum £100 Change Request Fee per revision - again, depending on complexity which must be paid before production starts or continues on your fronts. Additionally, any changes made to an order after material is cut will incur a Re-Stocking Fee, a Change Request Fee and the cost of new item. You are welcome to keep unused pieces, if desired.
Where do you deliver?
- We deliver throughout the UK. Delivery to non-mainland UK can be arranged but will incur additional charges. We have previously worked with many European clients but due to issues that have arisen due to Brexit, whilst we are delighted to work with European clients we can't currently arrange deliveries into the EU.
We can either prepare your kitchen for your preferred delivery company to collect from us or alternatively deliver your fronts to a port of your choice in mainland GB, it would then be at your discretion what happens from this point forward and to deal with customs, import duties, shipping etc as required. If you are struggling to arrange deliveries please contact us and we will try to help.
Do you make cabinets?
- We can supply bespoke cabinetry for projects, please contact us if there's something you need a solution for. We are currently developing our own cabinetry offer.
Can you make bespoke items, shelves, panels etc for our kitchen?
- Yes we can. Please contact us with your requirements.
Can you make J Groove handles?
- Yes but we generally would recommend against this for a variety of reasons. Please contact us as we are always happy to discuss kitchens and design.
Can you do spacer panels and deco strips?
What thickness are the doors, drawers and panels?
- Our wood veneer finishes are 18mm, Fenix and Bamboo are 19mm and Forbo is 20mm. Please be aware though that these are nominal sizes and are +/- 2mm in reality.
Do you offer edge banding? What is edge banding?
- Edge banding is the practise of using a narrow strip of material to finish cut edges of sheet material.
Edge banding is used to cover the exposed sides of materials such as plywood, chip board or MDF increasing durability and giving the appearance of a solid or more valuable material. Edge banding can be made of different materials including PVC, ABS, acrylic, melamine, wood or wood veneer.
We don't edge band. Edge banding is used to cover material that is aesthetically or functionally undesirable whereas the birch plywood and bamboo that we use for our fronts is strong enough not to need covering, is beautiful to look at and we believe in the idea of truth to materials. As a material Birch plywood is so well regarded as a sign of quality that some manufacturers edge band cheaper and inferior materials such MDF and chipboard to appear as birch ply! Edge banding is always a weak point on a front - as soon as it is damaged, which is easy to do, it reveals the core that the maker was trying to hide. We also feel that aside from these issues the nature of edge banding where you will always end up with the grain running in the wrong direction on two edges is aesthetically jarring and incompatible with a quality product.
Do you offer worktops?
- Yes we do! We have a carefully curated range with beautiful and unique properties. We can supply luxurious Natural Stone, Quartz and Ceramic as well as the beautiful and unique Durat and Richlite surfaces. Please speak to us for more details.
Do you have a showroom?
- Our showroom is currently closed for refurbishment. You are welcome to come and see samples in our workshop and talk to us whilst we are in the process of reopening our showroom. Please contact us for details.
Do you offer custom colours?
- We offer the complete range of Fenix and Forbo colours. We have a carefully curated range and you can order samples from our sample page but feel free to contact us if you need a sample of a colour that isn't there.
How should I clean my fronts?
Our finishes are strong and durable but should be treated with care for best results.
When cleaning is required it varies according to finish. For laminates we recommend a soft, damp cloth and water. “E” cloths are very useful. If a detergent is needed it should be a mild one like soap or washing-up liquid. Always avoid using detergents that contain alcohol and ammonia or which have an abrasive or bleaching effect and/or which cut through oil. Be sure to wipe off any water on the fronts/edges.
For our oiled, real wood veneer fronts we recommend following the care guides from Osmo. We are able to supply a care package to cover this.
Do you work with other architects or other designers?
- Yes, get in touch.
What if something arrives damaged?
The only thing more important than getting your order right is making sure it arrives in perfect condition. We take great pride in our work, and take great care with package to ensure your kitchen arrives safely.
In the unlikely event we have made a mistake, we'll accept responsibility and make it right for you to the best of our ability.
How do I assemble and mount?
SAFETY FIRST! Always attach your cabinets to a wall.
Cabinets from Ikea come with instructions as to how to mount them safely against a wall, Howdens have an online guide for fitting their cabinets and we would generally expect any reputable company to be able to advise.
It is of the utmost importance that you or your fitter attaches these cabinets to the wall even if they feel stable, and even if it stands on legs.
In general we recommend finding a suitably qualified and experienced kitchen fitter or joiner. The majority of issues that arise when fitting kitchens are easily avoided or resolved by someone with the requisite skill and experience. Whilst clipping doors on may be fairly straightforward other aspects can require more skill and attention to detail. The quality of fitting directly relates to the quality of the final kitchen.
What hinges should I use?
We recommend that you order your hinges from the cabinet supplier. The type of hinges you will need depends on what interior you choose for your cabinet. The easiest way to do this is to start with a complete cabinet and then simply ask for the fronts to be removed from the order. This way you ensure the correct number and type of hinges are included.
We have some hinges that we recommend so if you have a preference please contact us if you would like specific feedback.
How should I fit end panels?
End Panels for kitchen cabinets are fitted the traditional way with screws from the inside of the cabinet.
Do you make doors that fit Ikea's discontinued Faktum kitchen system?
- We can make any fronts if you can provide us accurate sizes. Please contact us for further details.
We recommend Ikea as their cabinets offer an incomparable combination of high quality and low price, and their 25 year guarantee. Their cabinets are durable, spacious and offer a huge range of ingenious internal options.
We also love the flexibility that comes with the ability to purchase Ikea's cabinets - but not their fronts - which allows you the freedom to create your own dream interiors without waste or extra cost. Finished with our handcrafted fronts of course!
Whilst we recommend Ikea we are happy to work with other cabinetry!
Are Custom Fronts affiliated with IKEA?
We are not associated, affiliated or collaborating with Ikea in any official way. We simply make fronts and panels that will fit their cabinets in order to offer more options.
Any use of Ikea’s trade name/s are used simply to describe what we offer and is not intended to imply any relationship between Custom Fronts and Ikea.
What are your Terms and Conditions?
- Our full terms and conditions are here.